Saturday 26 November 2011

The Rising



The room was dim,
And I, the great promising
Heiress bowed to him,
His strong legs never missing
From my sight and old battle fields,
Dressed in black and golden shields,
And behind them, he was, over most
Else a non-existent form, a ghost.

His hands slowly reached,
To my streaming eyes and my chin,
For so long to this effigy I had preached
On my knees, till the cold ground tore off my skin,
And so he lifted my chin off the ground,
His hands were ice cold, I have found,
And my eyes scanned his face,
Of silver, steel and endless space.

His eyes coal black and his lips sealed
Shut by death,
Such grave miserable death,
To which his soul must yield.
And I, an heiress of a great world,
Am threatened by the same sword,
But no more, my soul said,
No more holding your legs of stone,
Steady like a statue of a hero, dead,
Buried in me, till I find a grave of my own.

So I stood up, hands free to cherish,
The highlands of my own kingdom
To be, where you, O Prince, will parish
For the sake of my own freedom,
For the sake of my own beauty,
Haven’t you said, it’s always been your duty
To bow to me, so how am I the one
Bowing and shielding my eyes from your sun?
And still you claim you want me,
That when you look, it’s me you see,
So tell me, my beloved Prince,
About what you truly see
When you close your eyes and ever since
You did, have you even once dreamt of me?

Or have the lust for the virgins’ blood
Blind your soul and in the flood
Of your overwhelming appetence for
Their moans, you’ve lost the way to my door?
I will not apologize for my attitude, my lord,
No more will I be a slave to your soul,
By sin and dust, by sinew and cord,
No more, heart and head and silent call
To gold and black covers of a ghost,
I will not apologize for being lost.

Because I am forever found,
Sadly for you, my place is not the ground,
And though with every call in my body,
I showed you how I love you,
With my all that’s in me, be it calm or bloody,
I’ll also show you how I hate you
To the core with all what’s burned and burning,
I hate you with the passion of loving
And with the madness of every single thought
In my endless realm you’ve once sought.

But there's one thing you didn't account for,
When you lead me in and shut the last door,
That I am the key to my own
Existence, it’s in my hand alone
To bow and break or to stand
And turn your heart into sand
Swiftly slipping from my hand to the wind,
That carries it far to the world’s end,
For I am the heiress,
The queen in the making,
The cruel mistress,
And the witch in the waking,
I am the virgin’s blood spilled
At your door, it was my will for you,
And the heart that you’ve once killed
To escape all what’s old, all what’s true,
It was your sacrifice made unwillingly,
Truly for me, but for you seemingly.

So in this kingdom, take your right place,
Bring your knees to the ground,
Let the cold silver of your face,
Shine upon a hell profound,
And recognize your fate that’s grim,
Under my heels and twisted waist
In veils of scarlet and dim light,
At the shores of royal lips you’ll never taste
At hearts in hands and surging waves
All breaking into rotten graves,
Never to be seen again, just like you,
Bow, O prisoner Prince, to the queen anew.

6 comments:

  1. I must say that it's as always not the kind of stuff that interest me, but the fantastical way you framed it this time really struck me to read every word with more care and feel them better.

    I loved how, despite her position, she fell and recessively in love with her prince.

    But eventually, you disappointed me starting from the "But there's one thing...." part and the last part as well. I didn't like them at all, and I mean at all. His immense presence with his follower behind him and her fragile and straight love didn't match her strong words...I don't know, it's how I received both characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well... a5eern the comment :D
    ana habda2 mn ta7t l fo2... there was a pause before that part you mentioned so i do understand that the thoughts might have been disconnected in a way... yet again, i meant it, the transition from weak to strong, gradually through the poem, that's how i saw it in my mind... a rising against the enslavement of love, and that very fine line between love and hate, or even loving someone and loving yourself more... the main character at hand here, is her, how she took control and turned it around that he ended up her prisoner, despite his strength...
    she did fall in love with her prince... but love is not owning, bowing, or enslavement... rebellion on all those, is also love.
    and thank you for that remark elly f el awel :D exactly what i was aiming for in the aspect of words, rhymes and the general sound of the poem... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you had a plan, but you didn't put it in action smoothly, I believe
    Maybe it's because you were disconnected that's why.

    You know on how many long pauses I write my articles and you still think they're homogeneous and solid, so I'll teach you the how some time =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes please :D i need to learn this trick...

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful but didnt touch me like urs usually do! 7assa en deh wasnt written from within u mesh 3arfa leih!

    ReplyDelete
  6. actually... it leached to my head and it wouldn't let go until i wrote it down... it's one of those poems that just flowed out of me... for some reason, i didn't even know what it's about until i wrote it... but it is different, i agree...yet not because its not from my heart, for so many other mysterious reasons...

    ReplyDelete