Wednesday 2 January 2013

In Theory.


Have you ever lived in theory?
Laughed and cried and screamed in theory?
Have you ever walked with the dead
And felt they were still livelier instead,
You stopped relishing in black and white altogether,
And vowed hatred to the loathsome grey forever,
Have you ever jumped in a hypothetical river?
And have an imaginary wind ever made you shiver?
Have you loved God on the surface of your mind
Then banished your soul of fear of what you may find,
Have you visited the tall trees in heaven and hell,
Ran to them for safety but on your face you fell,
Have you ever reached for passion in theory?
Set fire to your soul and freeze in theory?
Were you held up high and run down on roads eerie
All because you believed in the fading trails
of dreams and multiverses and fairy tales,
And you blame the world for not rising to expectation,
End the nonsense, for god's sake, find yourself a nation,
You can't be a country all on your own
And If it's not in the books, it'll break you to the bone,
But who's to say I have bones anyway?
If you throw me and bend me and I rise again anyway,
And who's to say that my faith is essentially real,
And who are you to tell me how I'm supposed to feel,
For who I am -And who you are- is theoretical,
And the philosophy we stand for borders on heretical,
So if I look out and find the world to be arbitrary,
A set of modifiable formulas and their contrary,
And if I decide to calculate the depth of my soul,
Subtract the addictions and add to the fall,
And if I divide my life over my death
Then multiply by the number of wasted breath,
Will I find an answer to my existence?
Or just another question with a nagging persistence?
And if I trust in theory and lust in theory,
If I fly in theory and I drown in theory,
If I dance to all the melodies, all in the static,
And If I believe in science but also believe in magic,
If I stretch too thin and fight too weary,
All in a rotting spot so foul and dreary,
And If I truly just exist in theory,
Obsess, suppress, depress and stress in theory,
Who can ever realize me into being,
If in theory, All but reality is freeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment